That first ever glide you take down on that white powdered path will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life. Remember to know all the basics before you take that bunny hill or even try the double back diamond in your ski tour in Alaska. Valdez Heli-Ski Guides and some experts list a guideline to help you:
- Gravity is the force that will mainly control you during this experience, so you have to know how to stop and steer. It will take you to the most direct route from the top of the mountain to the bottom, which isn't always the most desirable or safest route.
- Balance is the aspect that will save you because of the slippery snow. Know how to balance yourself while you’re sliding down the mountain. You also have to figure out a comfortable stance where you can also steadily move.
- Dress code is one of the factors that you should never take for granted. This will help you enjoy your experience despite the weather forces surrounding you. Before you get dressed, ensure that you check the weather forecast, so you can keep warm. Use goggles if it is cloudy and sunglasses if it is hot. Never consider wearing cotton underneath your ski clothes for you will get cold. Instead, wear a thermal layer.
- Don’t forget to protect your skin from the cold, wind, and sun. What you probably don’t know is that the snow reflects the rays of the sun, which makes it ideal for tanning. Make sure to wear sunscreen.
- Remember the trail color-coding because the ski resort usually assigns different color codes depending on the difficulty of the trail. Black and red trails are the most challenging, blue for the intermediate and green slopes for beginners.
- Of course, your insurance should be one of your priorities as accidents can happen easily. Double check your travel insurance if it includes winter sports coverage.
Don’t risk this experience of a lifetime by going unprepared. Remember these top tips and you will be on the way to the glide of your life.