According to management consulting firm McKinsey, almost a third of the entire female workforce in the US was composed of mothers in 2020. That’s a lot of working mothers! And it’s no surprise, given how expensive childcare can be. However, it’s also no secret that the traditional 9-5 job isn’t always conducive to parenting. There are daycare drop-offs and pick-ups, after-school activities, and sick days. Not to mention the guilt working mothers often feel when they’re away from their children.
However, entrepreneurship can be a great solution for working mothers who want to be more present in their children’s lives. As an entrepreneur, you have the flexibility to create your own schedule and set your own hours. You can work from home, so you don’t have to worry about childcare. And you can focus on building a business that you’re passionate about.
So if you’re a working mother considering this, congratulations on taking the first step towards starting your very own business! Being a mompreneur is no easy feat, but it is certainly rewarding. But where do you start? And how do you promote and grow your business while still meeting the demands of motherhood? Here is a guide to help you get started:
Pick Your Niche
The first step to promoting and growing your business is figuring out what exactly it is that you want to sell. Don’t try to be everything to everyone — it’s important to focus on a specific niche so that you can target your marketing efforts more effectively. Once you identify your niche, you can start sourcing products, developing marketing materials, and building an online presence. So how do you pick the right niche?
First, think about what you’re passionate about. What are you an expert in? What do you love talking about? Once you’ve narrowed down your options, do some market research. See if there’s a need for what you want to sell. If there is, great! You can move on to the next step. If not, it might be time to rethink your niche.
Once you’ve settled on a niche, make sure it’s something you can see yourself doing long-term. Remember, this is your business, so you want to ensure you’re passionate about it and that it aligns with your goals. Pick a niche that you’re knowledgeable about and that you know you can be successful in, and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a mompreneur!
As a mompreneur, it’s important to have a clear plan and schedule for both your personal and professional commitments. By getting organized from the start, you can avoid some of the common pitfalls that lead to business failure. Invest in a good planner or scheduling app to keep track of appointments, deadlines, and blog post ideas all in one place.
Here are some tips on how to schedule your business-related tasks and chores as a mother:
- Make a list of daily, weekly, and monthly tasks that need to be completed. This can include things like laundry, grocery shopping, and taking the kids to soccer practice.
- Assign specific days or times to each task. This will help you stay organized and avoid overlap.
- Use a planner or scheduling app to keep track of appointments, deadlines, and blog post ideas. This will help you stay on top of everything that needs to be done.
- Take advantage of online tools like Google Calendar or Asana to keep track of your work schedule and to-do list.
- Set aside time each day for personal tasks like email, social media, and household chores. This will help you avoid feeling overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done.
- Embrace the chaos! As a mompreneur, it’s important to be flexible and adaptable. Sometimes unexpected things will come up, and you’ll just have to go with the flow.
And don’t forget to schedule some “me time” too! Taking regular breaks will help you stay sane and avoid burnout.
Build an Online Presence
In today’s digital age, it’s essential to have an online presence if you want to promote and grow your business successfully. You can reach a wider audience and connect with potential customers worldwide by building a website and utilizing social media.
Here are some tips on how to build an online presence:
- Start by creating a website for your business. Make sure it’s professional and easy to navigate.
- Utilize social media to connect with potential customers and promote your products or services. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are all great platforms to use.
- Make sure you have a strong call to action on your website and social media pages. This can be something like “Sign up for our newsletter” or “Follow us on social media.”
- Use SEO keywords to help potential customers find your website and social media pages.
- Generate press for your business by reaching out to local media outlets and bloggers. This can be a great way to get exposure for your business.
You should also consider effective brand reputation management when growing your business online. Creating a strong brand will help you attract customers and stand out from your competition, so you need to develop a strong mission statement that reflects the values of your business. Brand management experts can help create unique logos and taglines representing your brand.
Make sure your website, social media pages, and marketing materials are consistent with your brand. You can also use color psychology to choose colors that reflect the mood and message of your brand.
Promoting and growing a successful mompreneur business takes time, effort, and dedication — but it is certainly possible with the right strategy in place. By focusing on a specific niche, getting organized from the start, and building an online presence through compelling content and strategic networking, you set yourself up for long-term success.