According to the US Department of Energy, having an energy-efficient home will help people save money on energy bills while also doing their part to help the environment by using less energy. Additionally, an energy-efficient home is often more comfortable and less expensive to maintain than a traditional home.
However, making your home both energy-efficient and aesthetic can seem like a daunting task. Luckily, with a bit of creativity and the right products, it can be easy to achieve this! Here are some smart innovations to try out:
Insulated Solar Shades
Did you know that your windows can account for up to 30% of your home’s heating and cooling costs? During the winter, heat escapes through windows, and during the summer, heat enters through windows. One way to combat this is by using insulated curtains or shades.
Interior solar shades for windows provide an extra layer of protection against heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer. They also reflect sunlight, which can help keep your home cooler in the summer. What’s more, they are available in various colors and styles to fit any home décor.
When it comes to choosing solar shades for your home, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Sun exposure: The amount of sun exposure your windows get will determine the type of solar shades you need.
- Window size: If you have small windows, you’ll need mini-blinds or roller shades. If you have large windows, you’ll need solar shades that cover the entire window.
- Window type: Not all windows are created equal. Some windows are designed to let in light and air, while others are designed for privacy. Make sure to buy solar shades that are compatible with your window type.
Once you’ve considered these factors, it’s time to start shopping! There are a variety of insulated solar shades on the market, so take your time and find the perfect ones for your home.
A smart thermostat is a great way to save energy and money. Smart thermostats can be controlled remotely via a smartphone, tablet, or computer. They also have features like auto-scheduling, which adjusts the temperature based on your daily routine, and away mode, which turns off the heating and cooling when you’re not home.
This is helpful because it prevents you from wasting energy when no one is home. Additionally, smart thermostats can provide you with energy usage reports, so you can see how much energy you’re using and where you can save.
If you’re looking for a smart thermostat, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Ease of use: Choose ones that are relatively easy to set up and use.
- Features: Make sure the thermostat has all the features you need, like auto-scheduling and energy usage reports.
- Compatibility: Check to see if the thermostat is compatible with your home’s heating and cooling system.
Once you’ve found the perfect smart thermostat for your home, it’s time to install it! Most smart thermostats are easy to install, but if you run into any trouble, there are plenty of instructional videos and articles online.
LED Light Bulbs
Traditional incandescent light bulbs are inefficient because they use more energy to produce light than LED light bulbs. On the other hand, LED light bulbs last longer than traditional light bulbs, so you’ll save money in the long run. But the benefits don’t end there. LED light bulbs also produce less heat, so they’re safer to use and won’t add to your home’s cooling costs.
When it comes to choosing LED light bulbs, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Type of bulb: There are different types of LED light bulbs, so make sure to buy the right one for your needs.
- Socket type: LED light bulbs come in different socket types, so make sure to buy the right one for your home to avoid overloading.
- Dimmability: Not all LED light bulbs can be dimmed, so if you want to be able to dim your lights, make sure to buy a dimmable bulb.
And of course, you can’t forget about the style! LED light bulbs come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so you can find the perfect one to fit your home décor. There are even LED light bulbs that look like traditional incandescent light bulbs, so you can have the best of both worlds.
Weatherstripping is an easy and inexpensive way to prevent drafts from entering your home. It mainly consists of strips of material like foam, rubber, and vinyl that you apply to the gaps around doors and windows. This helps to seal up your home and keep the heat in.
Weatherstripping is a great do-it-yourself project, but there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Type of weatherstripping: There are different types of weatherstripping, so make sure to buy the right one for your home.
- Size of the gaps: Make sure the weatherstripping is the right size for the gaps you’re trying to seal.
- Installation: Some types of weatherstripping are easier to install than others. Choose one depending on your equipment and know-how.
With a bit of weatherstripping, you can make your home more comfortable and energy-efficient. In terms of design, you can choose materials whose colors match your home’s décor or have them painted after installation.
By following these tips and trying out these smart innovations, you can easily make your home both energy-efficient and aesthetically pleasing. Not only will you save money on your energy bill, but you’ll also make your home more comfortable and stylish.