What to Do When You Think You Have Mold in Your Home

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on tumblr
Share on pinterest

If you suspect there is mold in your home, it’s best to fix the problem immediately. Failure to address the issue could lead to an even bigger problem. Mold can trigger asthma or allergies and irritate your eyes, skin, nose, or throat. Mold exposure can be dangerous to people who may be more sensitive to the effects of mold, such as infants, elderly people, and those with compromised immune systems.

To help you know whether your house has mold and what should be done with it, here are some vital details you should know:

The Signs of Mold

The most obvious sign is a strong smell of mold in your home. Mold might smell slightly different to different people, but generally, it is an unpleasant, musty, and earthy stench that is reminiscent of rotting organic matter.

Also, if you notice your eyes are stinging and watery, you might have an allergic reaction to the mold. To be sure, get a skin or blood test done to confirm your allergy. Again, the spores from mold can trigger asthma. If a family member experiences symptoms of asthma whenever they are home, then you might have a case of mold.

Other than noticeable signs of mold and its probable health effects, watch out for squishy floors and bubbling paint on the walls as these occur when there’s moisture. And when there’s moisture, mold may be lurking in that area, as well.

Why Mold is Dangerous

mold in the ceiling

Mold can severely affect certain people more than others, but prolonged exposure to mold is not good for anyone’s health. You can have eye or skin irritations even if you don’t have any allergy.

Mold can also cause property damage over time. It thrives in moisture-rich areas, such as leaky roof or wet and humid basement. Sometimes, it hides in spots that are not easy to notice like leaky kitchen plumbing or inside walls where moisture is trapped.

What You Can Do

The most effective method to get rid of mold in your home is to hire a professional mold cleaning service. You could probably get rid of the mold yourself (with the right products and protection, of course), but you should leave a big mold problem to the professionals. Otherwise, you might waste your time because the mold could grow back.

Preventing mold is just as important as removing the mold. If you remove the mold one time but do not locate and fix the source of the problem, the mold will eventually grow in your home again. For instance, if there is stagnant water in your basement, it will encourage the growth of mold. To deal with that problem, you can get French drain contractors in Denver to keep stagnant water out of your basement.

If you think there is mold in your home, you should not ignore the problem. Don’t just cover mold spores in the walls with a fresh coat of paint. It’s an issue that requires immediate attention and long-term solution. Remember all the information above to know if you have mold and how you can deal with it.

Scroll to Top